This page serves as an archive of older documents that were prepared or coordinated by the NCI Office of Science Planning and Assessment (OSPA). Note: Some of the links within the pages of these older documents may no longer be active.
These plans outline what the National Cancer Institute (NCI), as leader of the National Cancer Program, must do to provide vision and leadership to the nationwide community of researchers, public health workers, healthcare providers, patients, advocates, and policymakers working to defeat cancer.
- The NCI Strategic Plan for Leading the Nation — January 2006
- Women, Tobacco, and Cancer: An Agenda for the 21st Century — July 2004 [PDF — .9 MB]
These reports enable NCI to identify needs and opportunities for cancer research, establish research goals, and develop sound plans for reaching those goals.
- NCI Colorectal Cancer: Six Years of Research Progress — March 2008 [PDF — 1.3 MB]
- NCI Pancreatic Cancer: Six Years of Research Progress — December 2007 [PDF — .9 MB]
- NCI Breast Cancer Progress Report — October 2004 [PDF — 4.2 MB]
- NCI Prostate Cancer Progress Report — June 2004 [PDF — 3.4 MB]
Progress Review Group (PRG) Reports
These final reports from the Progress Review Groups (PRGs) list research priorities and the resources needed to achieve them. The priorities identified have a real and proven impact on NCI's scientific plans and priorities.
- Adolescent and Young Adult Oncology (AYAO) — August 2006 [PDF — 4.7 MB]
- Trans-HHS Cancer Health Disparities — March 2004 [PDF — 2.1 MB]
- Sarcoma — January 2004 [PDF — 1.1 MB]
- Stomach and Esophageal Cancers — December 2002 [PDF — .8 MB]
- Kidney and Bladder Cancers — August 2002 [PDF — .9 MB]
- Gynecologic Cancers — November 2001 [PDF — 3.0 MB]
- Lung Cancer — August 2001 [PDF — 2.2 MB]
- Leukemia, Lymphoma, and Myeloma — May 2001 [PDF — .8 MB]
- Pancreatic Cancer — February 2001 [PDF — 1.1 MB]
- Brain Tumor — November 2000 [PDF — 1.3 MB]
- Colorectal Cancer — April 2000 [PDF — .6 MB]
- Breast Cancer — August 1998 [PDF — 1.9 MB]
- Prostate Cancer — August 1998 [PDF — 2.9 MB]
Strategic Implementation Plans to Address the Recommendations of the PRGs
The LIVESTRONG Young Adult Alliance (LSYAA) developed this strategic implementation plan in response to the Adolescent and Young Adult Oncology (AYAO) PRG report. It provides actionable strategies to address the five recommendations outlined in that report.
- Adolescent and Young Adult Oncology (AYAO) — 2007 [PDF — 1.1 MB]
NCI staff working groups developed these strategic implementation plans based on the recommendations of the corresponding PRG reports and research portfolios.
- Brain Tumor — October 2002 [PDF — 1.0 MB]
- Leukemia, Lymphoma, and Myeloma — October 2002 [PDF — .9 MB]
- Pancreatic Cancer — September 2002 [PDF — 1.7 MB]
Documents in PDF format require use of a PDF Reader.
If you experience problems opening PDF documents, please
download the latest version of the free Adobe Reader®.